Monday, April 19, 2010

next year FYP

Like had been anticipated, I will be doing my FYP next semester. Yesterday, I was soo nervous and worried when I heard many of my mates had reserved their FYP title. I didn't yet, to make matters worst, I haven't really really looked at the title list thoroughly yet. So yesterday was a worrying day for me. But after meeting a few lecturers, I decided to take up Halawati's title. I think I had made a very fast, i mean very fast decision about something very very important to myself and for the next one year I will live with this decision of the title I choose. To cut the crap short I will just list down all the reasons for taking up the "Router Simulator" title. Hope this list can motivated and remind me for the next one year until i successfully finish my FYP.
  • Interest
    I think interest is a very very important factor which will help us throughout our FYP. Nevermind easy or hard the title is. So if there is only 2 things I m comfortable and enjoy doing in my degree it would have been mathematics and networking stuffs. I really like networking subject like Data communications and Computer networks, which I took few sems ago. Eventhough I just got B for both this subject, I can be honest to myself and said I really enjoyed learning this 2 subjects and the reason for the B is lack of luck in final exam and sucky coursework marks. Routing and switching is another networking subject I m taking this sem. I really enjoyed the lectures and labs for this current subject. Hopefully I can manage an "A" for this subject because I got quite high coursework marks for this current subject.
    So, maths and networking? I like both the same. One is my favorite, One is my major. So I think any FYP title about it will be just fine.
  • FYP Advisor
    In my personal opinion, the next main factor for the FYP success is the lecturer. Because he or she is the next person I think I will be meeting very often after my Girlfriend. So he or she have to have 3 criteria: Helpful, Friendly, Easy to find and contact, and most importantly lenient. Well I can say there are a few, not many of this kinds of lecturers in FIST. I think Ms.Halawati is one of this. She never thought me before in degree subjects but i went to her Cisco class before. From the way she explains her FYP title I think is can be a great help to me.
  • Other Titles available
    Forget about other Titles. I can dare say all the available titles, research or codings look like shit and fucked up no matter how you want argue or reason. All title is difficult and have its own easy side and bad side. So, I think no matter what title I choose, there will be tonnes of problems there waiting me to overcome and work out. (Unless I don't plan to take FYP...Hahahah... not possible rite?) I hate programming? Drop this point. All FYP title in FIST MMU is programing compulsory, Dont compare with other university. Like it or hate it I will have to do programming no matter what title I choose. So might as well get one title I like and is interested instead of Considering the programming factor. And I must really really learn some programming before I grad. FYP is going to make me learnt it, like it or not.
  • Packet Tracer
    I personally think I have a great advantage doing "Router simulator" because I have Packet Tracer. Basically, to summarize things, I just need to create a simulator program which can simulate router configuring process aka mimic the router in packet tracer. Any input the user enter have to produce the same output like the router in packet tracer. What I m trying to say is i have a guide here. Anything I m not sure I will just have to refer to packet tracer. My main task is to figure out how to make the input produces the output like in packet tracer. There comes the coding part.
So the Verdict? I had decided. I really hope I wont regret this 2 days decision and most importantly, I hope I can complete this by next year. FYP title " Smart Router Simulator"

By the way If there is 2 things I m gona miss from B-2-8 ixora, Its going to be the view from the back of my house...... the wind blows the strongest here, so I always stand at the door to cold down.So, this is the scenery I m talking about. I always stand here looking at the scenery after I m tired facing my laptop. Sometimes also I stand there to enjoy the wind. Damn..... I m gona miss you.

No comments: